top of page

#5 Do You Want My Kidney Too? What You Need For The Spanish NLV.

My son's attempt at a mad face!

In my last post, I talked about the passport process, hopefully, for your sanity, you already have one, or it went way better than ours. I guess this would be a good place to list all the things you need for the Non-Lucrative Visa. Some of these items will be common with all of the Visas but check them for differences. I am going to list the main points, but check out your Spanish Consulate page for some of the specifics. They have common questions listed there and printouts of the forms needed. Here is the website for Los Angeles, California So here we go!

1. Visa application form: The application form must be thoroughly filled out and signed.

2. One passport-type photo.

3. Passport or Travel Document. (Original and photocopy of the main page).

4. I.D. Card that proves your place of residence is within the jurisdiction of the Spanish Consulate of Los Angeles (original and photocopy).

5. (Non-US. Citizens only) U.S. Resident Alien Card or valid U.S. long-term Visa. (Original and photocopy): Holders of B-1 and B-2 Visas cannot apply in the United States; they must apply in their country of residence or country of origin. Applicants holding Student Visas must also present their I-20 (original and copy) signed by the university on the last page and a copy of their F-1 Visa

6. EX 01 Form​ printed, filled out, and signed.

7. 790-52 Form printed, filled out, and signed.

8. Medical Certificate: (Original and photocopy, original translation, and photocopy of translation if required): This document must be issued no more than 90 days before your appointment date, must include letterhead and original signature and/or stamp from a doctor (only M.D. or D.O’s will be accepted).

Translation: All Medical certificates that are not originally in Spanish must be translated by a Sworn Spanish translator certified by the Government of Spain.

9. Certification of “absence of police records” Only for applicants 18 years of age or older (Original, photocopy, translations into Spanish, photocopy of translations): Obtain a background check verified by fingerprint comparison. This document is valid for a maximum of 90 days after the issue date mentioned on it. It must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” and then translated into Spanish​ to be accepted

The background check can be issued by either:

(a) The U.S. Justice Department– FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation


(b) The State Justice Department (all states where the applicant has resided in the last 5 years) and the document must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” by the Secretary of State of said state.

10. Proof of funds: Documentation in original form with an official stamp and seal of the issuing agency that verifies sufficient economic means for the period of residency in Spain or certifies the availability of a non-working monthly income (e.g., pension) that satisfies the minimum financial requirements.

Translation: a translation of all proof of funds by a Sworn Spanish Translator certified by the Spanish Government (no local companies) is required unless the original form of the document(s) is available in Spanish.

11. Copy of most recent Tax Return. Residency applicants cannot have/leave loans or mortgages in the United States when applying for residency in Spain.

12. Medical Insurance: Proof of health insurance from a private or public company with no co-pay (or deductible) is required. The provider must be authorized to operate in Spain. No travel insurance with medical assistance coverage will be accepted.

Translation: a translation by a Sworn Spanish Translator of the declaration page

13. Visa Fee: Payments are made at the time of your appointment; only money order is accepted (no cash, no credit cards, no debit cards, no personal checks). Money orders are to be addressed to the “Consulate General of Spain Los Angeles.” See the following link for fees.

14. Disclaimer duly signed and attached to the application.

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: If applying with dependents (husband, wife, or children), the dependents require the following documents in addition to the above-mentioned ones for each corresponding applicant:

MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE - Legalized with the Apostille of the Hague and translated by a Sworn Spanish Translator certified by the Spanish Government (no local companies). The applicant must present the original, a photocopy, translation, and a photocopy of translation.

BIRTH CERTIFICATE (Applicants under 18 only) - Legalized with the Apostille of The Hague and translated by a Sworn Spanish Translator certified by the Spanish Government (no local companies). The applicant must present the original, a photocopy, translation, and a photocopy of translation.

Once you arrive in Spain

The visa from our department will only be valid for 90 days. During the first month of your stay in Spain, you must go to the Local Immigration Office (Extranjería) and apply for your Tarjeta de Identificación de Extranjero (in short, Tarjeta NIE). Once receiving your Tarjeta NIE, you will be able to stay for the duration of your program. Be sure to take the original background check and medical certificate and their original translations with you to Spain for the process.

*********You will need a letter of motivation! It doesn't say so on the site, but my lawyer has us do one, and I've heard other people say they needed one! It's basically a love letter to Spain. You write who is applying, why you want to move to Spain, and how you plan on supporting yourself.

In my next posts, I will be going over each item more specifically and all the things we learned not to do!

Written: 04/06/21

Please leave a comment so I can see what you like and what I can improve!



bottom of page